December 30, 2008

AD-LIB

Came across this poem in a novel by Alan Titchmarsh and I simply cannot resist quoting this in my post. I will not be cremated but I do want loved ones to remember these lines while remembering me at my funeral. Here goes…
‘Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry:
I am not there. I did not die.’

3 comments:

thoughtfox said...

Dearest
You are the thousand winds, and the glints of the preciousmost diamond, and the sunlight and the gentle raindrops that pitter-patter on my idle hours of leisure! You are the softest rustle of a lone bird's wings and the gentle glow of the morning star! But I love you too much to read out these lines when you sleep forever...
Here's a simple plea: Die after me!

COMPOS MENTIS said...

will have to think about it.

A very cool cat said...

I'm really not a poetry person, but this one, I have always loved. It's heart-wrenching, yet oddly comforting at the same time.

Thanks for putting it up where I can read it from time to time.