May 8, 2009

READERS AND READING IN PAINTINGS










Since I claim to be an avid reader, I thought of looking up some paintings of my favourite painters, both European masters and more contemporary American and European artists who have portrayed readers or/and the act of reading in their paintings. I choose to upload quite a few of my favourite paintings in this post just so I can look at them, all in the same place without running a google search on the painters everytime I want some aesthetic pleasure. I will not upload them in chronological order. However, I do intend to group the masters and the contemporary artists separately in two separate posts.

The first painting is by Van Gogh and is called 'The Novel Reader'.
The second one also called 'The Novel Reader' (1853) is by Antoine Wiertz.
The third is a Monet, simply named like so many others, 'The Reader'.
The fourth is a Renoir.
The fifth is the 1880 painting by Anton Weber and is called (no surprises) 'The Reader'.
I currently have no information on the sixth one that I have uploaded but will have to look that one up.
The next one is the 1631 oil on panel by Rembrandt called 'The Prophetess, St. Hannah'. It also has a second title called 'Rembrandt's Mother'.
The young girl in yellow is 'The Reader', an oil on canvas in the style of the Rococo period by Jean Honore Fragonard (c. 1770-72).
The last one uploaded here is interesting on two accounts. First, because it is also referred to as 'Rembrandt's Mother' apart from being called "Reading Old Woman' and secondly, because this one shows in great detail what the old woman is reading.
My favourite contemporary artists will take all the space in my next post.

No comments: