Exactly eight months after we arrived in a madhouse called Sarnia 2, the place has welcomed two new foreigners. R from the United States and J from Germany. The Sarnia foreigners met both of them last evening over drinks and snacks. We have already intimidated one of them it seems and predictably the senior of the two, R. The German waif is a chirpy little one and has meshed well, it seems. Lavatorial jokes (and not intellectual mumbojumbo) seemed to dominate the conversation for whatever reason and they were openly aimed at some of the group but all in good spirits. The evening reminded Joan of the first informal gathering she was invited to and it is impossible not mentioning Mrs. Perth and Gregory Peck. Shit! I miss them.
I don't think I have mentioned this before but we arrived at Sarnia on the 14th of February at the exact same time that one of the Sarnia dwellers was preparing to give up his life. He did that successfully on the railway tracks that run through the forest nearby. Lost Soul was also unloved, it seems which is why the choice of such a day for bidding farewell. I was advised a week later to apply for the position that belonged to him and honestly, I felt a bit squeamish about it. Thankfully, since it was the middle of the term, the University seemed to be in a great hurry to find a substitute and they found someone before I could apply. No regrets really because work soon followed and I am settled. BTW, Lost Soul was half-English. I suppose, that explains the chronic melancholia. Hopefully, next time I will have something happy to report.
October 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
What (and whom) do you teach?
new post..new post
life's too full. when it's not then it's virtual farming time for me. currently am not in blogger-form. but won't disappoint you :)
Post a Comment